Before you can start visualizing your data, you need to load it into the application. Virtualitics supports loading data from tabular text files, CSV files, and Excel spreadsheets from your local machine. Your data needs to be in a machine readable format. Simply put, this means each row has values and the same number of columns.
To load a file, simply click the Local button on the Datasets tab that appears after launching the application and while in the “Spreadsheet View”, and then find the file to load.
Selecting a file will open the “Dataset Preview” window. This window lets you confirm that the data you are loading is what you intended, and choose a subset of rows and columns to load. Once you’ve confirmed your settings, select the “Load Dataset” button to finish loading the data.
Supported File Types
- CSV – Comma Separated Values
- Text files – Note: Must specify the delimiter used to separate values in the Dataset Preview window
- Excel sheets – Note: Virtualitics will only load in the first sheet in a multisheet workbook
Dataset Preview Options
- Headers – Virtualitics automatically takes the first row of your dataset as names for that column. If your dataset does not have header names, set this to “No Headers” and the application will assign generic numbered names for each column.
- Delimiter – Set this when loading a text file where the character that separates values is not a comma. The dropdown contains a number of commonly used delimiters, as well as a custom option that you can use to enter any combination of characters.
- Rows/Columns – Choose customer values here to load a subset of the dataset.
- Regional Numerical Format – Change this for datasets with regional formatting that does not use a period for the decimal separator.